Why granite stairs in your home?
Stairs from natural stone at the entrance or inside the building is not only a great way to show your wealth, good taste, and sense of style to your guests but also a profitable design solution characterized by high reliability. Despite a quite high price, many owners of the country houses and cottages order the steps from granite or marble.
There are many stone types of different colors and structural characteristics. However, they all share the simplicity of treatment, smooth surface, and relatively small weight, which can become a decisive factor in planning the installation.
Granite is not so aesthetically attractive. However, many sorts are characterized by very fancy shades, which can be combined with different design directions. It has twice as great a safety margin as marble and is highly resistant to abrasive loads; thanks to this, granite steps are especially popular at the entrance of the building with high accessibility. Granite can serve you many years, remaining almost unchanged. It is also used for building the march stairs inside the building, less frequently – winding stairs.
The texture of stone plays an important role, as it directly affects its color and appearance, while they can change the price. For example, homogenous marble and granite without any shades and plays of color are the least appreciated. Therefore, it is used for purely practical purposes.
The most popular (and cheap) types of steps are overhead and composite. This construction represents two plate blanks, attached to the concrete base of the stairs by means of primer. Vertical blanks are called risers, and horizontal– treads.
The benefits of stairs with granite steps are undeniable.
- Their transportation and mounting are significantly facilitated due to their small size and weight.
- The price of such steps is much lower that of solid or monolithic ones, which will be described below.
- Horizontal elements can be placed under a small angle of inclination, so that the water doesn’t accumulate in the corners (which, leaking inside, can cause a devastating impact over time).
- Using the small plate blanks, you can choose any picture or pattern for the whole stairs, combining different options in accordance with your preferences (or you can entrust it to the professional).
- Solid steps are characterized by incredible durability; using them, you can be sure that the stone won’t crack (and its surface will never fade). The production of such is a very hard and expensive work; using special equipment, you can build up to two-three pieces from a great rock. They can be mounted on the reinforced concrete basis, preferably with reinforcing cage. Before mounting the steps, you must execute all the necessary calculations to check whether the construction will withstand their great weight.