Cart 0 x

Difference between Corian and Granite

Difference between Corian and Granite


Corian, like all solid surface counters, was invented in a labratory. The two ingredients trihydrate and methyl methacrylate make up about 98% of the product with the other 2% being dyes and other fillers used to give it color and texture. While in comparison Granite is an igneous rock, formed deep in the belly of planet earth. As magma slowly cools underground it solidifies and forms granite. It is made up of a combination of minerals; mostly felspar and quartz but it can contain many other trace minerals as well.

The stone is mined from the earth at quarries in large blocks. They are eventually cut into slabs, shaped, and polished to create a finished countertop. Here is the detailed comparison between the two products.


Corian cannot stand high temperatures. Anything over a couple hundred degrees will burn them. Most burns can be repaired by using fine sandpaper or a scouring pad to remove the damaged material. To avoid damaging your worktops you should always use a trivet with rubber feet. Also be careful with any small appliances that generate heat like crock pots and electric skillets.


Don’t ever use a knife directly on the surface of Corian without a cutting board. With every pass of the knife you’ll make a small scratch. Scratches are easy to fix but how often do you want to have to lightly sand the surface of your countertop?

Whereas, granite countertops cannot be scratched with kitchen knives. Stone fabricators use special blades and tools to work with it and your knives are not made of the same material.

It’s so durable that it will dull your knives fairly quickly, so you do still need to use a cutting board. But don’t worry if your cutting board is in the dishwasher or are at times you’re like like me and can’t be bothered to take it out for a quick chop


Prices vary depending on where you live but you’ll fairly consistenly find them for as little as possible. With solid surface counters you do get exactly what you pay for, however. The cheapest option will almost always be the lowest quality. The price and quality increases from here up to the maximum per square foot. Different colors of Corian have different prices.

The cost of granite also starts at the lowest  and can go as high as a couple hundred dollars for rare stones. Of course, granite being a natural stone is expensive but given the benefits of granite, it is totally worth.

You can find very good quality slabs at your local stone yard at the bottom end of the price range. With a little luck you might even be able to find something that costs even less.


Corian is fairly easy to scratch, can’t withstand high temperatures, is almost impossible to stain, and requires no maintenance. Granite is hard to scratch, can handle extremely high temperatures, needs to be maintained with a yearly sealant application, and can stain if you’re not diligent about cleaning up spills.


Write a comment

error: Content is protected !!